Saturday, December 1, 2007

Kip on Front Page of Bend Bulletin


That's right, a picture of Kip climbing roadside ice was on the front page today (Sat. December 1, 2007). Here is a link to the page but it isn't very good quality.
The title reads: IF THE ICE IS RIGHT...
Then below the picture it reads: Ice climber Kip Beckwith, 18, of Bend, climbs Friday on a rock outcropping along U.S. Highway 20 on Santiam Pass.
The guy said he'd email some photos in a couple days. I'll post them then.

This roadside ice is about a 1hr drive from Bend and there's no approach (thus climbing on a road cut). The ice was thick enough to climb and was super fun. I must have done the lower section about 10 times.

After a couple hours at the ice I went on a scouting mission to find more. It wasn't successful. Instead I got a good workout in trying to push my way through 3ft of fresh powder.

Then after the hike, I drove Hwy 20 a bit more looking for more ice. Saw a bit but didn't climb anything.
Another great adventure!

2 comments:

Alanna Beckwith said...

must have been a slow news day in Bend!, but congrats on the front page pic!

Penny Beckwith said...

I'm impressed! You are so extreme brother Kip. ;) Pen